It is basic Human nature to try an understand the various ways of working of the universe. And this very quest has given rise to the branch of study ,called – Science.
Human progress throughout the history has largely rested upon advances in science .And studying biology is like knowing about unity in diversity . Man who thought of himself as a superior being, something different from all other living creatures- Biology taught him to be humble by giving the knowledge that plants, animals and even the microbes all have the same gene like humans.
We at Staford, take care to develop the scientific aptitude in the students by taking up with hands on activities, very early in their school life, goes on supplementing their theoretical knowledge.
There is a saying-
- You tell me and I will forget
- You show me ,I may remember
- You let me do it , I will never forget
Doing helps in actual reinforcement of theidea. Lockdown has changed lot many things .Gone are the days when whole Morphology chapter of std XI was taught in school garden. Now in these hands on activities teachers have become the hands of the students nonetheless it cannot substitute ‘hands on’ activities.
One experiment was taken up by Std X students in which the teaching Objective was – ‘To prove experimentally that CO2 is evolved during germination of seeds’. The best part was that the learning outcome was much beyond expectation.
- The first and foremost is the direct impact which proves the aim of the activity and it always is a matter of sheer joy for the students to get the things loud and clear.
- More importantly it has some deeper and finer impacts, like for one student- it teaches us the importance of proper planning, for other it is a step by step process of implementation of an idea and arriving at proper conclusion.
Let us hear straight from our budding scientists themselves…….