Spelling a word correctly is an integral part of language learning. Understanding how to spell a word makes it simpler to spell. Written communication skills can only be developed after getting into the habit of writing correct spellings of the words. Staford understands the need to encourage this habit; therefore, this Friday, we conducted an Inter House Spell Bee competition on 18th Oct, 2013. Mr. Shiraz hosted the event and apprised the participants of the rules. Each participant was asked to spell out four words. The spelling of each word as spoken by the child was written on the whiteboard for the convenience of the judges. All the four houses (Amber, Garnet, Emerald and Sapphire) had one member to represent classes II to VI.
The first to face the spelling challenge were participants from class II, followed by children from classes III, IV, V and VI. At the end of the competition, the results were as follows:
- Mohammad Zaid of class II A, Amber house won the first position in his class.
- Devansh Rastogi from Garnet house and Adarsh Jaiswal of Emerald house shared the first position in class III.
- Eshan Gupta of Emerald house stood first from class IV A.
- From class V A, first position was shared between Qareen Mehndi of Amber house, Ansh Mishra of Garnet house and Kazim Ansari of Sapphire house.
- Nausheen Noor of Garnet house bagged the first position in class VI A.
The event concluded with Mr. Shiraz sharing a few tips on spelling; he reiterated the importance of learning and using correct spelling of the words in English or any other language.