KNOWING OUR SUN (CLASS 1-2)- Look up at the night sky and what would you see? You would see many small points of light. We all identify these as stars. In this workshop, students get amazed to realize that these small dots are many times larger than the Earth. Students are made to identify the Sun as our closest star and observe themselves that all-stars like the Sun are round. They learn about Sun as a source of heat and light and its importance in our lives. They observe the sun safely using Solar View Goggles. Learning Outcomes of the workshop :
- They identified Sun as the closest star to the Earth.
- They explored that stars give us light and heat.
- Students understood that the Sun is much larger than the Earth.
- They realized that looking at the Sun directly is harmful and that it can be viewed using safer methods.
- They also learnt that Moon has no light of its own and shines because of sunlight falling on it.
LET’S INTERVIEW THE SUN (CLASS 3-5)-In this workshop students interviewed the Sun to understand various facts about it like, size, shape, distance etc. Other than this they also learnt new information like why Sun is so bright, why are we not able to see the Sun clearly and so on. They also did an experiment to understand why the safe methods of observing the Sun are necessary. Students observed the Sun through a telescopic filter, ball projector, solar view goggles and pinhole projector. They also made their own pinhole projectors to observe the sun safely. Learning Outcomes of the workshop:
- Students understood various concepts about Sun via an interview of personified Sun by students.
- Students understood why it is necessary to use safe methods for solar observation.
- Students were made aware of various methods of safe solar observation.
- Many myths about Sun were broken and they observed the Sun using various methods.
SAFE SOLAR OBSERVATION (CLASS 6-10)- In this workshop, students learnt about the SUN and the reasons to study about it. They also learnt about different solar features. They also learnt the ways to observe the Sun safely and realize the importance of using safe methods for solar observation. Learning Outcomes of the workshop:
- Students understood why it is necessary to observe the Sun and learnt about various methods of safe solar observation.
- Students learnt how to make a pinhole projector and use it for solar observations.
- Students understood the use of the solar filter.
- Students also observed the Sun through other methods like telescopic projection, pinhole projector, ball projector, and solar view goggles.